Thursday, September 10, 2009

Puppypandemonium




I want a dog.
I know , I know! My sister tells me that many women on the baby train go through the puppy obsession. That was the precise reason I have been suppressing the urge. Of course I don’t want to WALK it outside in the snow, but I will cuddle with it and give it baths. We were just in Bermuda for our one year anniversary and we saw this tragic ad for the humane society. It had all these little creatures that had been terribly abused, staring at the camera through  one good eye, while Sarah McLauhlin sang “I Will Remember You….”. Under each sad face, a caption, “Why did they hurt me?” “Why must I die?” “Won’t you help me?”
I know it was incredibly manipulative but I couldn’t stop balling.  Why must I always feel that I need to “save” someone or something? Can’t our lives be marked with other good deeds, like helping old ladies cross the street, or leaving little presents for a depressed co-worker?
And why would anyone think that the acquisition of a four-legged, steadfast companion would keep the baby blues at bay? Perhaps it is the gift of unrelenting love. A lick on a face when you are feeling your most bloated and unattractive from clomid, or hcG or progesterone. A nip at your fingers saying “I love you! You are barkalicious!”
Shadow, a lab mix, can be found on the petfinders website. She’s looking for a home in New England…

No comments:

Post a Comment